And thus is the verdict ever pronounced: Guilty, guilty, guilty. Weak, evil man. Every word from the lips of this tortured creature serve only to hurt and destroy. Is it any wonder I loath myself so?
Wretched. Weak, I say, and evil. For evil is begotten of weakness, its mother fear. She fills me, that dark comforter, that poisonous bosom. I am her prisoner.
But wherein does this fault lie? Is it in physical strength that I find myself wanting? Or is it perhaps cognitive power I lack? Am I ridiculed and shunned, disrespected and dismissed?
No. When looking at my reflection, such as shown to me by the fitfully flickering computer screen, none of those illnesses are what ails me. Seemingly, my every facet is unblemished.
Yet is this so? No! Of course not! Mine is of a subtler kind, a flaw hidden deep inside, visible only when the light is refracted at one certain angle, such as at the hour of twilight. And this flaw, this fault line, makes the whole of me brittle, ready to shatter at a touch, into a thousand jagged pieces that could rip you into shreds.
And maybe that's what makes me so beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment